Friday, January 29, 2010

For a Wise Purpose

The idea for this blog first came to me a few weeks ago when I decided to disable my Facebook account. I got rid of my Facebook account because I realized how big of a distraction it has been to me. I wish I could say I was mature enough to realize this on my own, but I didn't notice it until Garrett (my roommate and one of my best friends) decided to get rid of his. He told me his reasons for getting rid of it and we talked for a bit and I realized that I needed to do the same as him. I enjoyed using Facebook, but that was the real problem; I enjoyed using it too much. It distracted me from preparing to serve God to the best of my abilities on my mission. However, when I prepared to get rid of my Facebook account, I realized that doing so could cut off communications that I have with some people. For years Facebook had been the tool I used to let my friends and family know what was going on my life and now that tool would be gone. That's why I decided to start this blog, to allow friends and family to stay part of my life.

The title for this blog, "For a Wise Purpose", comes from the Book of Mormon in Words of Mormon 1:7. The verse says "And I do this for a wise purpose; for thus it whispereth me, according to the workings of the Spirit of the Lord which is in me. And now, I do not know all things; but the Lord knoweth all things which are to come; wherefore he worketh in me according to his will." I chose this verse as a theme for my blog because I've learned that Heavenly Father has a plan for me and even when I'm going through trials and I don't know why, it helps me realize that my trials are happening to me "for a wise purpose". While I don't know the reasons for my trials when they happen, I know that God knows why they're happening and that they'll benefit me in the end. A firm example in my mind of this was something that happened last semester: When deciding what classes to take for last fall, I thought it might be interesting to take a Psychology class. It was my absolute least favorite class of the semester. However, in taking that class, I really met Garrett and Juliana, who both became my best friends.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Spencer! I found your blog on Garrett's blog. I hear that your papers are in and that you are awaiting your call. I'm so excited for you! Good blog so far Spencer! Garrett's mom, Annette

    ReplyDelete

I have one rule: Be nice! That's all :)